Quilt Giveaway and Instructions from Margaret Shepherd, author of Learn World Calligraphy
In her follow-up to last Thursday’s post, “Readable Words with African Flavor,” Margaret Shepherd, author of Learn World Calligraphy provides instructions on creating a “virtual Swahili” baby quilt. This quilt can be personalized with the wording of your choice, as well as the baby’s name. For a list of Swahili words to use on your quilt, refer to Margaret’s previous post.
Additionally, Margaret has kindly donated the baby quilt featured here to CrafterNews, and we will be giving it away to one lucky reader. Tell us about the special baby in your life with whom you’d like to share this quilt for a chance to win!
“Thamani mtoto” means precious baby in Swahili.
The quilt shown here is made of African themed fabric. You can use any brightly-colored scraps of your own.
You will need two pieces 48” square (1.25 meters) and scraps at least 4” x 4” (10 cm), or ?-½ yards (30-40 cm) of contrasting fabric to make the letters.
1. After you choose your Swahili words, print out the letter templates you need. Cut around them and lay them out to estimate how much they need to grow or shrink to fit on the large square area. Leave a margin of at least 3” (7.5 cm) around the edges.
2. Enlarge or shrink the letter templates (adjust the seam allowances if necessary) and pin them to the contrasting fabric scraps. Cut them out. Iron the seam allowances under and trim any excess. While you’re at it, iron the wrinkles out of the large background pieces.
3. Pin the letters into position on the background. Attach them with zig-zag machine stitching or hand sew them firmly to the background.
4. Sew the back and front of the quilt together inside out. Iron the seam on the right side. Stuff with batting.
5. Anchor the batting with at least nine single stitches.
6. Quilt the front to the back if desired. In this blanket, I left room to personalize the quilt with the baby’s name.
Categories: Crafts-General |
Browse all articles from September 2011
Learn World Calligraphy
Discover African, Arabic, Chinese, Ethiopic, Greek, Hebrew, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Russian, Thai, Tibetan Calligraphy, and Beyond
Written by Margaret Shepherd
Category: Art - Calligraphy
Format: Paperback, 192 pages
On Sale: August 23, 2011